12.23.2014

Red and Green

IMG_5619-1

Sweater: Vivian by Ysolda Teague; madelinetosh erin in tart; my notes and modifications on The Misty/Kerri Fangirl Sweater
Skirt: Vintage Burberry; similar styles by Zac Posen and at Ann Taylor
Shirt (which I don't know if you can see): Everlane
Shoes: Prada and if you're a size 8 1/2, we can be complete twinsies!; similar styles by Chie Mihara and Tory Burch
Lips: Marc Jacobs Lovemarc Lip Gel in Showstopper

Merry Christmas, everyone! As an adult adopter of this holiday, I feel comfortable wishing people of all beliefs a Merry Christmas as I have determined that it is incredibly easy to overlook all religious significance, if one so chooses, to focus on the more universal peace on earth, goodwill towards men part. Christmas owns! My sad menorah just looks lackluster next to our awesome festive tree. Since I get all misty at this time of year, I have included, for my nostalgia and your amusement, the poem recited at my school for our holiday celebration - which was 100% pagan and amazing - at the end of this post. If I could convince my husband to celebrate a Very Druid Winter Festival each year I would, but Christmas makes an excellent runner-up.

I don't know why I haven't bothered to make another Vivian; or rather finish another Vivian. Because of my many WIPs is a lovely eventual Vivian. I love this sweater despite the pattern's problems (you will never manage to get the sleeves right without divine intervention or the mother of all blockings). I don't mind wearing it with work clothing, and it's perfect with jeans For the record: had I not managed to arse up putting buttons on my Grandpa cardigan, I would have shown it off for this post, but come to think of it, it looked terrible with a skirt and only good with jeans which, yet again, is a reminder that Yelena + cardigans does not equal a marriage made in heaven.

The skirt and shoes are new additions to the wardrobe and both are delightful deals. The skirt I found by following a pinterest link of a gorgeous vintage dress. While poking around on the site, Hemlock Vintage, I found the skirt for about $50 and immediately snapped it up because I love a good tweed. The shoes are from my new favorite obsession, The Real Real, an online consignment shop that puts ebay to shame. So far, I have purchased two pair of shoes from them at outrageous markdown and they both have arrived looking barely worn. Highly recommend. Unless you are trying to save your pennies, in which case run.

I figure everyone will be busy these next two weeks with holiday frolicking, so I won't bore you with posts until the new year (at which point the grandpa button problem ought to have been solved). Whatever you are celebrating, may it be happy and healthy, and thank you so much for reading.

The Candlelighting Poem by Nancy Cardoza (who, coincidentally, passed away this year at the age of 94)

In the season of the sun's rebirth
on the eve of the winter solstice
I consecrate this house
with light.

Build your house upon the Hill of Truth
and may the cornerstone be clean of ornament
that it give a strong foundation to the walls.

Even as the Doorway of the Dawn,
may your doorway be beautiful
that the angels of Starlight and Sunlight
may enter thereunder with spread wings.

And may the light of your window be wide
for the wisdom of the soul abides
in the mansions of the sky.

May the roof of your dwelling be Love;
the Sentinel, the wing of the Archangel
the Great Fire.

The winter solstice is holy with candles
which are bright
as the fruit of the holly
or as children's prayers,
for in the light of little things
the soul has its dawning
and is reborn.

*

Metal, right?

4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you, too. Thanks for such an entertaining blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to self-indulge on January 1 with you, Gayle!

      Delete
  2. Yelena, your fashion sense is impeccable as usual. Thank you so much for sharing your ideas.

    I can't imagine you ever leaving the house with a single pill on your sweater. So, what is your secret? How do you choose yarn that resists pilling? How do you handle pills when they do happen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You remind me that I asked for a gleaner for xmas and didn't get one so I ought to order my own. I find that I do have fewer pilling problems than other people seem to and I can't think of anything to attribute that to. I am moving more towards 100% wool yarns because I do feel that my wool/cashmere/silk blends pill more, but my current pill "handling" is to pick them off, throw them on the floor, and then remember I don't have a housekeeper so I'll be the one vacuuming them up later :)

      Delete