10.02.2014

Tubes

IMG_5188

Dress: Idlewood by Cecily Glowik MacDonald; Orange Flower Aran Merino Superwash in Woodsmoke; my notes and modifications on As Far As It Goes
Shoes: Ariat riding boots; similar style (and these have held up through a lot of hard use - I've had the zippers replaced, but the shoes themselves have been workhorses - see this photo of them with wildlife...)
Lips: Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Natural in Aubergine N50
Nails: Butter London in La Moss
Bracelet: Breil stainless steel; similar styles like an olive branch bangle, or something thinner and stackable in gold

Let's get business out of the way first: this photo was taken Tuesday and I had every intention of also writing a post on Tuesday...

I'm sure I'm not alone in impulse purchasing yarn for which no project yet exists. (Please tell me I'm not the only one.) This one-of-a-kind color needed to come live with me, but once at home didn't quite have a purpose. I had loved knitting my first Idlewood even though the yarn pilled terribly, and I love a good knitted dress, so eventually these two ideas coalesced and a project was born. It doesn't hurt that the project is on size 10 or 10.5 needles, so it really does fly. And the dress itself is great. As you can see, it will go with flattish equestrian boots and on my original project page I have it styled with my dressy boots (and perhaps a useless but delightful pair of opera length black leather gloves). However, all that fun quick knitting has, in both cases where I've knit this pattern, resulted in a pilly garment over not that much time. Interestingly enough, this yarn is 100% superwash and my other Idlewood was 80/10/10, so it's not like I can blame the cashmere.

The other problem I have is entirely my fault, but intentionally my fault, and that is because I wanted a very open cowl at the neck, there's very little fabric in the dedicated shoulder area, which means the damn thing falls off my body. Now the enormous cowl prevents this from being accidental nudity, but it is annoying to have to pull your dress up every so often. On the other hand, I have yet to exactly figure out the proper construction which gives a nice open cowl and provides enough support. My Obsidian does a better job, so I might look to it for any future cowl work.

Yet I still heartily recommend the pattern. It's super easy and super pretty and really is just a giant tube. A word of caution, though: consider putting a label in so you know which way is up. On my sweater version, because the cowl is nearly as long as the body, I cannot count the number of times I've put it on upside down. Seriously.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Yelena! My favorite cowl neck to date is my adaptation of Mystic Pullover...might be of use to you, so I thought I'd mention it.

    xxoo
    KellyInTexas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a gorgeous sweater, Kelly, but that particular cowl is slightly more in the turtleneck camp for me - my problem is wanting the huge cowl that CAN go off the shoulder when you want, but doesn't go off the shoulder when you don't want it to.

      Tall order, I know.

      Delete
  2. Run a ribbon or strip of knitting through the stitches to cinch it up a little at the neck! I did something like this once, not quite the same issue (the cowl was just too wide), but I love how it came out: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/dayana/20-cowl-neck-sweater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is cute! But so are you. As a member of the non-cute set, I worry this would look silly on me (I had a ribbon tied sweater and I never wear it).

      Delete